You are invited to join us as an active member and volunteer for TAFSUS
You can become a TAFSUS member by submitting annual membership contributions.
We count on your generous support and remind you that membership fees and donations paid to TAFSUS are tax-deductible.
Remember that TAFSUS members are just like you: busy people who are trying to stay connected to Turkey and to the Turkish American community in the greater Philadelphia area. Here are just a few reasons why you should become a member:
- Your membership is a symbol of your support for and involvement in the Turkish-American community
- By joining, you can help us achieve our mission to promote better understanding and friendship between the Turkish and American communities through educational, cultural and social activities
- Your membership provides you a number of personal benefits including:
- Discounts to many social and cultural events organized by TAFSUS
- Announcements about important news and upcoming events that are of interest to the Turkish American community
- Eligibility to send your children to ATA School at discounted rates
- Right to vote and run for Board of Directors
Please see 15 Reasons to become a member for detailed list.
Please see About section for more information about TAFSUS and Events section to review past events and activities. For general inquires and questions, please see Contact section.
You can start your membership by completing annual dues online via paypal below OR by mailing a check at the address below.
|Individual Membership Annual Due: $50|
|Family Membership Annual Due: $75|
|Student/Senior Membership Annual Due: $20|
|Supporter Level Membership|
|Online Contribution: Any Amount|
If you like to pay by check, please make checks payable to TAFSUS and mail to:
Ibrahim Onaral, TAFSUS Treasurer
3 N. Columbus Boulevard #103
Philadelphia, Pa. 19106
15 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD BECOME A MEMBER OF TAFSUS
- Founded in 1966, TAFSUS is one of the most established Turkish American Associations in the USA. It is also recognized as one of the best and most professionally managed organizations within ATAA’s umbrella with consistently well-run events and programs.
- TAFSUS’ annual membership fee of $75 per year covers all the members of a family and has been kept at this modest level for 15 years. Equally modest is the annual student membership of $20.
- With every event and program that TAFSUS organizes and administers, TAFSUS strives to create a better understanding of Turkey and Turkish culture and through this better knowledge, friendship between American and Turkish communities. By being consistent in its goals in disseminating accurate and balanced information about Turkey, Turkish history and culture, it instills a sense of pride of Turkish heritage in the Turkish community.
- Social events are organized throughout the year, including on major Turkish holidays so that members of TAFSUS can meet and greet and get to know each other and network. Several events are held at Turkish restaurants to financially support these restaurants.
- An annual Dinner Dance is organized to celebrate the founding of the Turkish Republic and to remember and commemorate Ataturk’s work and revolutions. The War of Liberation and the circumstances under which the Turkish Republic was established and how the Turkish nation was born are remembered and honored.
- TAFSUS strives to educate the American public through its lectures program often in joint sponsorship with the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia. A recent example was the visit and program with the Turkish Ambassador, who spoke on a wide range of topics concerning Turkish-US relations.
- Recognizing that a teacher teaches hundred of students over his/her lifetime, specific emphasis has been placed on teacher education with TAFSUS sponsoring Turkey Travel Study Fellowships through the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia for high school and middle school teachers, principals, deputy principals and curriculum directors. 49 educators have been sent to Turkey for 2 week study tours during the last 10 years, with the selection process stressing study of Turkey in classrooms.
- The Fellowships program has also been married with teacher education workshops for further specific study of Turkey for a much larger group of teachers and a Portrait of Turkey program for select high school students, with these session often being taught by Turkey fellows. The success of these programs have been recognized by their adoption and funding nationally by the Turkish Cultural Foundation.
- By providing grants through the American Research Institute of Turkey(ARIT) and the Community College of Philadelphia, TAFSUS also supports further study of Turkey and funds American and Turkish scholars, professors and college students studying in USA and Turkey.
- TAFSUS’ education has recently been extended to the children of the Turkish American community in the Greater Philadelphia area with the establishment of the ATA School for the teaching of Turkish, Turkish history and geography at the Montgomery County Community College. Children of TAFSUS members are extended a discount on the tuition.
- TAFSUS annually participates in the Annenberg Center’s week long International Children Festival with Turkish arts and crafts projects with hands-on experience of them by the visiting children.
- TAFSUS has organized Turkish Nights at the Philadelphia Museum of Art with Turkish music, dances, arts and crafts display and a sampling of Turkish food, which were well attended by PMA’s members.
- TAFSUS is in the process of sponsoring and participating in an all day long Turkish Culture Day at the UPenn Museum on May 3, 2008 with lectures on Turkish archaeological sites, Turkish food demonstrations, Turkish dances just to name a few activities to familiarize the American public with Turkish culture.
- Throughout the year, TAFSUS informs its members about its own events and programs and also of other news and programs to do with Turkey and Turkish culture. It also inform its members and urges them to take action against any legislature taking place in US Congress which is against Turkey such as the Armenian resolution.
- Your membership fee funds all the benefits listed above and makes you an active participant in this vital and effective Turkish American association, which is purely run by volunteeers and which justly deserves your support. Become a member today so your whole family can benefit from TAFSUS’ programs and activities.